Thursday, September 1, 2011

The Kosher Pig

Question of the Week:

 

I am so embarrassed I don't know what to say. I bought a tomato sauce in the supermarket last week that I thought was kosher. I always buy this brand, but this time it seems I chose a different flavour than usual. After cooking with it and feeding my family, I read the ingredients, and to my horror, the sauce wasn't kosher! When I say not kosher, I mean as not kosher as you can get. It contained..... ham! I will do whatever I need to make my kitchen kosher again, I know that can be fixed. But what devastates me is, what can I do about what I ate, and fed my family?

 

Answer:

 

You have a rare opportunity before you, one that even the holiest people never have. You can now make pig kosher. Here's how.

 

Every food has its nutritional value. Certain foods provide us with spiritual nutrition, and by eating them we become more sensitised to our souls. This is kosher eating. The Torah allows us to eat these foods, not because they are healthy for our body but rather they are healthy for our soul. On the other hand, non-kosher foods are the opposite, they block the connection between body and soul, deaden our perception of holiness and desensitise us from the world of spirit.

 

But there is an exception. There is a way that non-kosher food can elevate you. When the eating of non-kosher food itself stirs you toward spiritual growth, when you regret  what you have done, resolve not to do it again, and commit to being more careful, what was a fall in spiritual observance becomes a step up to a higher spiritual plain.

 

This creates an amazing turn around. The pig you ate actually made you more spiritual. The sin had the same impact usually reserved for a mitzvah, it made you closer to G-d.

 

This is the law of transformation. A dispute, when resolved, makes friends closer. An argument, when handled correctly, makes a marriage deeper. A mistake, when seen as a learning tool, makes you smarter. And a piece of ham, when you regret eating it, makes you more kosher.

 

You should never deliberately start an argument, and you should never choose to eat non-kosher either. But if it already happened, don't feel down. Turn it around, and make the pig kosher.

 

Good Shabbos,
Rabbi Moss

 

To subscribe email rabbimoss@nefesh.com.au 
 

CLASSES

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

KABBALAH OF THE TALMUD  

Life changing lessons from mystical interpretations of Talmudic allegories    

AT NEFESH 5 Roscoe St Bondi Beach

Wednesday September 7

8:15 - 9:15pm with Rabbi Chaiton

For Men & Women 

 

Lunch in the City with Rabbi Gourarie and Rabbi Chaiton

Level 10, 2 Bligh Street , Sydney

12.30pm Thursdays

Lunch served, all welcome 

 

NEFESH SERVICES

 

Friday

Candlelighting 5:19pm

 

5:30pm Mincha followed by shiur 

 

6:30pm - 7:15pm Shabbos Service followed by Kiddush

 

Shabbos day

9am Class on Weekly Parsha

10am -12:15pm Morning Service with kids' program followed by Kiddush sponsored in honour of the first Yahrzeit of Alice Schreiber Z'L who, together with her first husband, Shalom Garfunkel, were founding members of the Machzika HaTorah Shul.

Mincha 5:15pm followed by Seudah Shlishis and Maariv

Shabbos ends 6:18pm 

 

Sunday

8am Shachris

No Talmud Class 

 

Monday and Thursday

Shachris 7am

 

 

 
 
This email was sent to shmuly77d@gmail.com by rabbimoss@nefesh.com.au |  
nefesh | 54 roscoe st | bondi beach | NSW | 2026 | Australia

No comments:

Post a Comment