Tuesday, September 7, 2010

A Wish for the New Year

Please note: Tonight Evening service at 6pm at Hakoah, see more times below 

Question of the Week:

 

Rabbi, what is your wish for the New Year? What does a rabbi wish for? Do you want to become the Chief Rabbi or something like that?

 

Answer:

 

No, I am happy not to be chief rabbi. I would like to continue doing what I do, but perhaps with a bit of a new spin.

 

People usually turn to a rabbi when they are having problems. In the year that went by I met many couples who are having relationship issues, I spoke to people who are losing their faith in G-d, and I faced confused souls who question whether their life has any meaning. As a rabbi, one of my main roles is to be there for people in distress.

 

In the year to come I hope to meet many more people in distress, who are having relationship issues, losing their faith in G-d, and who question whether their life has meaning. But next year, it should be with a very different twist. Here are the only questions I hope to receive:

 

Marital Issues I Wish to Hear:

 

"Rabbi, we've been married for three years, and what can I say, we are really happy. We communicate well, have a good understanding of each other and a deep respect. Like anyone, we have the odd disagreement, and sometimes we say things in the heat of the moment that we shouldn't, but we deal with it maturely, recognise where we went wrong and in the end it brings us closer. Rabbi, we have no major problem, we are just hear to ask you: Is there any way we can make our marriage even better? Can we improve on what we have?"

 

Crisis in Faith I Wish to Hear:

 

"Rabbi, I am struggling to believe that G-d really exists. I used to have faith, but my experiences of late have made me doubt that there is a just G-d. I just landed a dream job with a great company, I am healthy, I met a wonderful girl, my phone bill went down this month, and my football team won the grand final. Rabbi, WHAT DID I DO TO DESERVE ALL THIS? If there is a G-d, why did He choose me of all people to shower with so much good?"

 

The Meaning of Life Question I Wish to Hear:

 

"Rabbi, I feel that my life has no purpose. Ever since the Messiah arrived there are no more wars, terrorism has been defeated, poverty abolished, all sicknesses cured, lonely people have all found love, the oppressed have been uplifted. So what's the point of life? What am I needed for? I used to be able to help people. Now there are no problems in the world, I have lost the meaning in my life. What should I do?"

 

I know this is all just a dream. At the moment the world seems far away from such a blissful state, where the biggest problem is that there are no problems. We still have a lot of work to do. So let's do it. Where there is pain, let us all be healers. Where there is loneliness, let us be a friend. And let's thank G-d for all the amazing good that He has blessed us with.

 

Maybe then we will ourselves create a Messianic world, together we will bring on the dawn of a new era, an end to all suffering and sorrow, when the only battle to fight is an inner battle, and there is no evil - just good and better.

 

May you have a good and sweet new year,

Rabbi Moss

 

To subscribe email rabbimoss@nefesh.com.au

 

 

NEFESH HIGH HOLYDAY SERVICES fully booked ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 

Wed 8th September First night Rosh Hashana

Remember to make Eruv Tavshilin

5:23pm   Candle Lighting

5:30pm   Mincha

6:00 - 6:45pm Yomtov evening service

 

Thu 9th September, First Day Rosh Hashana

9:00am   Morning Service

10:00am Childminding starts

11:00am Shofar

1:00pm   Service Ends

 

5:00pm   Mincha followed by Tashlich

6:00 - 6:45pm Maariv second night

Candle Lighting for second night must be after 6:19 pm

 

Fri 10th September, Second Day Rosh Hashana

9:00am   Morning Service

10:00am Childminding starts

11:00am Shofar

1:00pm   Service Ends

 

All Shabbos Services back at Roscoe St Shul

5:24 pm   Candle Lighting

5:30 pm   Mincha followed by Niggunim and Divrei Torah to end Rosh Hashana

6:30 pm   Shabbos service

 

Shabbos 11th  September, Shabbos Shuva

10:00 am  Shachris

5:15 pm   Mincha followed by Shalosh Seudos

6:20pm    Shabbos ends

   

Sunday 12th September, Fast of Gedalia

4:45 am   Fast Begins

8:00 am   Shachris with Selichos

6:08 pm   Fast Ends

 

Thursday 16th September

7:00 am   Shachris

   

Fri 17th September Erev Yom Kippur

3:00pm   Mincha at Roscoe St

5:29pm   Candle Lighting and Fast Begins

 

 

Yom Kippur Services at Hakoah

 

Fri 17th September

5:45 - 7:45pm Kol Nidrei and Maariv

 

Shabbos 18th September

9:00am   Shachris

10:00am Childminding starts

11:30pm Yizkor

2:30pm    Break

4:00pm   Mincha

6:25pm   Fast Ends

 

 

 

Lulav and Esrog ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As always Rabbi Gourarie will be bringing in top quality, beautiful Arba Minim sets (Lulav, Esrog, etc).

If you are interested please fill in the form below and email it to office@bina.com.au  or fax it back to us on 02 8078 4096 no later than Mon 13 Sep  2010

Prices:

Level 1 set - $165.00              Extra Hadassim - $25.00 per set

Level 2 set - $140.00              Extra Arovos - $15.00 per set

Singl Lulav - $35.00 

ORDER FORM:

Name: _____________________________________________
Contact number :_____________________________________

 

Please order: (please enter quantities requiring)

___________ Level 1  Set                   ____________ Extra Arovos sets

___________ Level 2 Set                    ____________ Extra Lulavim

___________ Extra Hadassim sets

Payment:

You can pay cash at the office, direct debit (please use your surname as reference) to Friends of Shtiebell inc  BSB: 082-080Account Number: 17-362-9456or Credit Card ~ Please circle  Visa  /  MC /  AmEx

 

Card No: ______________________________________________

Expiry Date : _________/ ________

Name on Card :_________________________________________

Signature: ________________________  date: ________________ 
Safe Unsubscribe
This email was sent to shmuly77d@gmail.com by rabbimoss@nefesh.com.au.
nefesh office | 45 bellevue rd | bellevue hill | NSW | 2023 | Australia

No comments:

Post a Comment